Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Dreaded Two Week Wait Begins.....


The two week wait (TWW).  The longest two weeks of your life (or so I assume from reading the fertility blogs and support group posts on the subject).  For those of you who don't know, the two-week wait refers to the time interval that starts once you ovulate and lasts until you either experience your period, experience a "missed period", or find out you have conceived through a positive pregnancy test.  In the case of IVF this is the time between the embryo transfer and the first beta test.

I have read about the two week wait on my fertility blogs and now, finally, it is happening to me.  I don't know if it is better or worse that it isn't ACTUALLY happening to me, but rather happening to me through our surrogate.  It is such a strange concept for me.  My two pregnancies were years ago and were not planned, so there was no TWW, rather a surprise positive pregnancy test.  Since then I have spent years trying NOT to get pregnant since the likelihood of a successful pregnancy in my "tiny" uterus was small if not impossible.  My pregnancy losses were proof enough of that.

In all of my 39 years, this is the first time that I am desperately hoping for a BFP (Big Fat Positive).

Today we visited the doctor who gave us an update on the embryos and the transfer.  Of the 8 eggs retrieved, 6 made it to day 3.  4 were transferred and 2 were frozen.  FROZEN!  I actually had embryos leftover that were FROZEN!  From everything that I have read it is not common to have embryos leftover to freeze, especially for older ladies like me.

This cycle was much more successful than my last 2.  The first was cancelled, the second resulted in only 4 out of 10 eggs making it to fair quality embryos on day 3, the third (and most likely final) resulting in 6 out of 8 eggs making it to good quality embryos on day 3.  And, I did not get OHSS this time like I did the last time.  Maybe the seemingly endless pills, acupuncture needles, and fertile-green shakes, in addition to limiting caffeine and alcohol paid off.  We hope that the 3rd time is the charm.

The doctor said that the embryos were "good quality".  We did not receive a full report on grading so I don't know exactly what "good quality" means.  I just hope that it is better than the grade 3 embryos that we froze our last IVF cycle. 

I sincerely hope that out of the 10 embryos total that we have, one should make it all the way......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment