Sunday, November 23, 2014

Is It Still Our Babymoon?


While not an actual picture of me packing, this is a pretty accurate representation of me packing.  I am a notorious over-packer.  I generally come home from trips with half a suitcase of unworn clothes and unworn shoes because I try to pack something for every possible situation.

Well, I am going to have to change my packing habits.  This is a long trip and my suitcase is not that big.  If you are anything like me you are thinking right now - why not just bring a bigger suitcase, or several suitcases?  If only I could.  We are traveling on a coach tour, and they have guidelines on the size of, and how many suitcases are allowed per person.  Unless I buy an extra ticket for my clothes I need to suddenly become a smart packer.

In order to have enough clothes for vacation and still have room for souvenirs I will need to pack less clothing than normal, but clothing that can be worn 2-3 times in a new combination - thereby making several "outfits" out of a few pieces.

To accomplish this goal, I have spent the last few weeks planning my vacation wardrobe.  I have been visiting sites like - two weeks in Europe in a carryon bag, and packing list for Europe, etc. etc. and using their ideas for outfits using key pieces.  Believe it our not, I actually have everything packed, including a lighter coat and gum boots, and still have 1/3 of my suitcase free!

Although I am ecstatic to be leaving for our fabulous Europe vacation in a few days, I am also a little sad.   We booked this trip a long time ago - this spring actually.  We booked this trip thinking that it would be our last big trip for a while, that it was our last hurrah as DINKs.....that it was our babymoon. 

When we booked this trip, we thought that our friend would be her second trimester carrying our baby to be.  We didn't know then that our world was about to be turned upside-down, that we would be traveling halfway around the world to use a surrogate in a strange foreign country, that we would suffer yet another loss, and in the end, not even be pregnant while on our trip.

Is it still our babymoon?  Will we have a baby someday?  Right now I am less hopeful than I was just six months ago.

I have decided that I will spend this vacation in the moment, enjoying the time with Mark and the great experiences that I am sure that we are about to have.  Hopefully it will be a vacation from thinking about our fertility woes, work woes, and remodeling woes.

Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment