Saturday, December 25, 2010

Family Christmas 2010


As the years go by it gets harder and harder to get all of my family home for Christmas.  This year everyone was able to make it except one - my sister.  On the home I find out that my sister is in the hospital due to a ruptured esophagus.  She has been struggling with both Anorexia and Bulemia for a number of years and has been in and out of treatment.  This is the result of years of damage and probably that holidays bring on more bouts of binging.

I ask my brothers and sisters what the plan is.  I assume that she is going into in-patient treatment again as soon as she can leave the hospital. No, they say, she intends to go home.  I assume that Mom and Dad are going to make her go into treatment.  No, they say, Mom and Dad don't want to fight with her anymore.  I realize that this has been very hard on everyone, especially Mom and Dad.  They are the ones who keep replacing food, paying her multiple medical bills, pleading with her to keep up with counseling.

I understand that they are tired and worn out and don't know what to do anymore.  I decide that I am going to have to play the oldest sibling role and gather up the troops - like it or not we are visiting my sister in the hospital tomorrow and we are going to ask her to go into treatment.





No comments:

Post a Comment