Saturday, July 19, 2014

Gardening requires lots of water — most of it in the form of perspiration. ~Lou Erickson


Every year I plant a vegetable garden and every year it tends to get forgotten about.  This year I feel like I have more of a valid excuse......but still I should be paying more attention to it.  Today I went out and spent a couple of hours weeding the garden.  I am happy to report that now you can actually tell that there are individual plants rather than one big green mass of "stuff".

Now that the garden is in decent shape I should also start paying more attention to the rest of the yard.  Since we moved in almost 5 years ago I have been talking about sprucing up the landscaping.  Luckily the front yard was mostly done and just needs some extra plants and a trellis or two.  We are also lucky that the yard is mostly in back and you can't see much of it from the street (it's a mess).

Part of the reason I have been putting off the landscaping is that I quite frankly have no idea what I am doing.  Vegetables are pretty easy - you plant them, you water them, you give them some plant food, and for the most part they grow.  You need to plant them every year so there's really only a one year commitment to the garden at any time.  Vegetables are also fairly inexpensive so if you kill them you aren't out that much money.

Perennials on the other hand are a whole other ball game.  They run from not inexpensive to very expensive depending on what you are looking at.  They can last years and sometimes a lifetime so you better like what you planted because you are going to be living with it for quite a while (unless you move and then you just start all over again with different problems).  Since they are so expensive you also better know what will in will not work in your zone and the level of sunlight where you want to plant them.

So much work!  Well, maybe next year I will start on the landscaping.....

No comments:

Post a Comment